[uClibc] buildroot gcc-4 proposed changes

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon May 9 16:52:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Manuel Novoa III wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:48:09PM +0200, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > Hello Manuel!
> >
> > > Since I've finally started working on the libm rewrite again and plan
> > > to completely rip out the existing libm soon, I'm not even looking at
> > > those patches.
> >
> > May I ask what soon means (only approximately if at all possible), and if
> > you consider to provide it LGPL licensed or some other?
>
> Soon means by end of May.  Since I'm hoping to raise contributions
> for hospice with it, I do not plan for it to be LGPL initially.
> Once a (currently unspecified) target is reached, then I'd LGPL it.
> Until then, it would be free for noncommercial use by all and for
> commercial use by a few (individuals/companies that had contributed
> to uClibc development in some meaningful way).
>
> Manuel

Then I would propose to stick w/ the current implementation, add what is
missing to it (all float/double/long double missing from SuSv3,see math
patches from me in bugs.uclibc.org), put your implementation parallely to
the current, so that anyone can choose the one that fits her/his licensing
requirements, until the new one will become LGPL too.

Thanks, Peter