[uClibc] uclibc support for gcc?

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Mon May 9 05:34:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:21:23AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2005 12:57 am, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > Building uclibc/gcc toolchains requires patches to gcc, e.g.
> > http://buildroot.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/buildroot/toolchain/g
> >cc/4.0.0/ Have these patches ever been submitted to the gcc developers?
> > It would be nice to not have to patch gcc to build it for uclibc targets.
>
> the changes required for binutils have been merged into mainline ... since
> 2.16 was so close to release, they didnt apply it to the 2.16 branch ... so
> hjlu's snapshots of 2.16.90+ work fine w/out patches to non-libtool related
> code, but anything older requires patching to work properly
>
> i dont believe anyone has sent anything upstream for gcc ... mjn3 has been
> working on the C++/locale stuff recently with gcc-4, but the reason it hasnt
> been sent upstream so far is because (afaik) no one felt it was good/stable
> enough for gcc to accept

Actually, I haven't been working on locale stuff lately.  That's on my
list after redoing libm.  At least I'm finally settled in enough after
the move, new job, marriage, etc. to start coding again though...

As far as the libstdc++ stuff goes, the uClibc locale implementation
was/is really a proof of concept.  I've always intended to rewrite it,
and I'll very likely break the current internal API when I do.  So pushing
the current patches upstream would just make more of a headache for me
when that happens.  In fact, I've stated several times that the libstdc++
related patches are NOT to be submitted upstream for that very reason.

Manuel