[uClibc] n00b Questions

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Thu Mar 31 19:22:36 UTC 2005

Hello List,

Am testing Buildroot, and it looks really good.

Target system is the Belkin F5D7230 wireless router (mipsel).  In looking
through its apps, I find that it was compiled with "GCC: (GNU) 3.2.3 with
Broadcom modifications)".  Now, the CPU and switch chips are Broadcom, so
does anyone know what these modifications might be?  (Broadcom ain't talking)

Is there any way to add these modifications in buildroot?  I would think they
are GPLed, but darned if I can find them anywhere.  The Linksys GPL source
comes with an older toolchain that has these modifications, but I'd rather
use the newer versions of everything if possible. (buildroot)

I tried setting up buildroot with Board Support Options > linux  but when it
gets to the kernel, it drops dead with "no rule to make".  Am I doing
something wrong?  Does this in fact build the kernel into the target root?

If I set the target to cramfs, can I make modifications and compile within?
The final image will bundle the cramfs with kernel using trx.  Is it possible
to select both cramfs and ext2 at the same time?

If I do not build the native toolchain into the target root, can I still
compile to target while chrooted?

Is the libelf package needed, if simply the target apps will be elf?

When I select less, then ncurses is ---'d out.  Does this mean *selected*?

Thanks for the input.

Best,

Carl Cook