[uClibc] RE: [uClibc-cvs] svn commit: trunk/uClibc/ldso/ldso: arm cris i386 m68k mips powerpc sh sh64 etc...

Paul Mundt lethal at linux-sh.org
Tue Mar 29 13:35:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:13:34PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > At least MIPS and sh64 need to get at the symtab for their relative
> > relocation handling. These last few ldso changes just seem to drop
> > relative relocations on MIPS entirely, so that's a problem there as well
> > (at least adding back in R_MIPS_REL32 should be a walk in the park).
>
> Didn't know that there were RELATIVE relocs on MIPS. Glibc doesn't think so.

There are, but IIRC they are rather expensive and tend to be avoided in
practice. I haven't seen the glibc source, but it's possible that this is
the reason for it.

On the other hand, it's been years since I last touched MIPS, someone can
feel free to correct me if I am confused on this matter.

> > Until this is fixed, _dl_fixup() and things of that nature will pretty
> > much just die in horrible and interesting ways for relative relocations
> > on these platforms.
>
> I don't think MIPS is broken, nobody has complained about that.

Nobody has complained because the relocation types that would be broken
probably don't show up very often in the wild (note the _relative_
keyword in the preceeding paragraph) for MIPS. At least not often enough
for the few people testing to notice. It's more of a corner case I guess.

> Should I commit http://cvs.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2005-March/011465.html first?

Yes, that would make things easier.