[uClibc] trying to build uclibc toolchain for powerpc e500 core

Kylo Ginsberg kylo at kylo.net
Mon Mar 14 06:00:54 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to build a uclibc-based toolchain for the powerpc e500 core.
I'm using buildroot and specifying "--with-cpu=8540" under Additional
Gcc Options.  However, the resultant binaries include load and store
string instructions (e.g. lswi, stswi, etc), which aren't supported by
the e500 core.

I can work around this for applications by specifying "-mno-string" as a
gcc option, but:
a) this should be obviated by specifying a processor which doesn't
support those instructions,
b) I haven't figured out how to pass "-mno-string" down to the lib
builds, so I have no workaround there

I'm new to the subtleties of building gcc toolchains, so I'm likely
doing something ignorant.  Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kylo