[uClibc] Re: GCC-4.1.0 size optimization bug for MIPS architecture...

Steven J. Hill sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Wed Jun 29 12:44:14 UTC 2005

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Not a bug.  The inline marker is merely suggestive.  You told
> the compiler to optimize for size, and it is doing that.
>
> If you absolutely have to have the function inlined, then you
> need to use __attribute__((__always_inline__)).

This makes sense, but I also have a binutils-2.16.1, gcc-3.4.4
and the same uClibc code and gcc-3.4.4 does produce a valid
dynamic loader with '-Os'. When looking at the dissassembly
for that, the _syscall1 and other functions are inlined. So,
apparently things have changed with regards to inling from the
gcc-3.4.x series to gcc-4.1.x? I can upload the binaries for
the gcc-3.4.4 produced version if needed.

-Steve