[uClibc] kernel headers configurations (likely newbie question)

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 6 03:51:22 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 10:09 pm, Prashant Viswanathan wrote:
> Should this be the header corresponding to the host or target?

target

> What if the choices do not match what I have? For e.g,
> I get an option to choose 2.4.25, 2.4.27, 2.6.8, 2.6.9.

as long as you match the first 2 portions, it should be fine.  also, you can
pick older headers for newer target and have it be ok, you just wont get
access to newer-only features

that is, you can safely use 2.4 headers for a 2.4 / 2.6 target, but you cant
safely use 2.6 headers for a 2.4 target.  also, if you use 2.4 headers, you
wont have access to features that are only available in 2.6 (like epoll and
nptl)

> As I have mentioned already I have been able to build and use a toolchain +
> root file system. But I occasionally see some segmentation faults which I
> think might be due to the fact that I didn't build a "nofpu" toolchain as I
> should have. I am planning to go through the whole exercise again and a
> better understanding of "kernel headers" will be of great help to me.

kernel headers are unrelated to whether you have a fpu on the target (afaik).
but choosing to use a toolchain with hardfloat support (i.e. no soft float)
on a system that lacks a fpu and lacks float emulation in the kernel will get
you runtime failures (they could manifest themselves as segfaults)
-mike