[uClibc] init failed, "No such file or directory"

bing_cheng at wneweb.com.tw bing_cheng at wneweb.com.tw
Sat Feb 5 01:10:56 UTC 2005

H, Bennett,

Thanks for the reply.

The static linked /sbin/init (busybox) is OK.
I'm pretty sure it's the dynamic loading issue because
(1) I tried the same kernel with a ramdisk built with libc
and it's OK.
(2) I tried the same kernel with a ramdisk built with libc
except the /sbin/init was built with uClibc and ld-uClibc-xxx
and libuClibc-xxx were on /lib, and this got the same
init failure symptom.

Any other idea?

--Bing

Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> on 2005/02/04 11:00:45 PM

 To:      Bing Cheng/WNC/Wistron at Wistron

 cc:      uclibc at uclibc.org

 Subject: Re: [uClibc] init failed, "No such file or
          directory"

This document is classified as     Normal

I can suggest two directions to try.

Even if you do want to have a dynamically linked /sbin/init
eventually, it might be worth building a static one, just for test;
if that works then you know the problem is somehow related to the
shared lib machinery and not some external config issue.

If a statically linked init fails the same way (or you're confident
that the shared lib stuff is all hunky-dory), are you sure your
kernel is looking for its root the same place you're looking at?
The boot loader's not configured for an initrd, or something else?

-Bennett