nfsroot & mipsel

Brent Cook bcook at bpointsys.com
Thu Dec 29 18:41:23 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 07:12, bora.sahin at ttnet.net.tr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also change the /etc/inittab file to support serial console in order to
> login to the system... But I am stuck with after the following messages:
> 	"freeing initrd memory...
> 	"Algorithmics FPU emulator..."
> If I mount(loop) the resulted image, and export it, then I am successfully
> login to the system.

The likely answer is that your serial character device uses different
major/minor numbers than the usual 4/64

Modify target/generic/device_table.txt and specify the correct major/minor
numbers for your serial device. One PPC board I have uses 204/44 for its
serial device. I know, technically this is /dev/ttyM0, but I've never
understood exactly why embedded devices tend to use different device names
for their serial ports; the kernel doesn't care as long as the correct
major/minor number is present.

After updating the device_table, rm -fr build_mipsel/root and
build_mipsel/staging_dir/fakeroot.env and make.

 - Brent