Buildroot compile problem on x86_64

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Dec 7 21:24:31 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 07:44, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:16:05PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> > (I spent a week and change bothering Jeff Dike to get User Mode Linux to
> > work on x86-64 already.  Resulted in four separate patches to UML before
> > it all worked.  Prepare to be bothered.)
>
> nice ... now if only i could figure out UML :)

What do you want to know?

2.6.14 works for me (and 2.6.15-rc4 and up work on x86-64 too).  To start with
you can use the attached .config as a miniconfig and test out with:

./linux rootfstype=hostfs rw init=/bin/sh

That'll borrow your host system's root partition (kinda like an nfs mount
export; even though you're running as root your read/write access is that of
the user running UML), and run /bin/sh as PID 1.

That's the dirt simple way to play around with it.

If you want to use an existing loopback mountable image file as your root
partition, use the "User Block Device" driver (the attached miniconfig
compiles that in too), by putting this on the command line:

  ubd0=/path/to/file.img

Then it'll show up as /dev/ubda (you have to mknod that, it's major 98, minor
0 or it'll show up in /sys and in theory udev should find it).  By default if
you don't specify a root, UML will assume major 98 minor 0 is what you want
to mount as root.  (And yes, ubd will detect partitions if your image is a
real hard drive image with a partition table and everything.  They're 98:1
and so on, I don't remember if they start at ubda0 or ubda1 in sysfs.)

> > P.S.  Anybody know where I can get root filesystem images for other
> > architectures with a working copy of gcc on them?  I want to play with
> > qemu's support for arm, ppc, x86-64, and perhaps mips.  (Screw sparc, I
> > don't care, and don't know anybody who does.)
>
> buildroot can do this for every arch it supports ;)

Buildroot has a long history of not working for me, but I'll put poking at it
on the todo list...

> -mike

Rob