[uClibc] pty support: /dev/pty/m* /dev/pty/s*

Maillists maillists at gmx.ch
Fri Aug 19 15:56:08 UTC 2005

Hi Erik

the notice that ftpd and telnetd would not work with UNIX98_PTYS
switched on is not true. It was a mistake of mine. But I still have
both, /dev/pty/m[0-255] and /dev/ptmx.

telnetd adds a /dev/pty/s0 as soon a telnet connection is opened, and
opening ptmx's with fd = open( "/dev/ptmx", O_RDWR ) n times adds n
times /dev/pts/[0-(n-1)].

Unluckily the  openpty( mstrFd, slvFd, ... ) from the uClibc 0.9.19 we
have does not work on my system. What I get is a ENOTTY - "Not a type
wirter" in errno.
I found that in ptsname.c revision 5682 a bug fix was made due to a
misbehaviour when __UNIX_98_PTYS_ONLY__ was not set and both systems are
activated. In uClibc 0.9.19 the revision of ptsname.c we have is 5747.

I also checked the major and minor number of /dev/pts/0, (major:
136/minor: 0), /dev/ptmx (major: 5/minor: 2). They seem to be ok.

Any idea what goes wrong?

Roman