[uClibc] Network Transfer Speed

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Sep 30 18:08:25 UTC 2004

Tony Tonchev wrote:
> Andrew May wrote:
>
>> Don't use FTP. It is usually limited by Harddisk speed (or what ever you
>> use to get the files to send). Writting stuff out to /dev/null instead
>> of a file helps on the rx side. On the sender repeating the send a few
>> times usually gets the file in the cache.

Don't use FTP 'puts'.  The reason is that ftp measures the time from the
first byte transferred until it calls "close()" on the socket.  With a
PUT, the data may still be in socket buffers, etc, so your timing will
be inconsistent.

I typically use FTP gets to /dev/null.  Or ttcp or iperf, depending.

Jim