[uClibc] Network Transfer Speed

Tony Tonchev tony at stclaire.com
Thu Sep 30 17:31:30 UTC 2004

Andrew May wrote:

>Don't use FTP. It is usually limited by Harddisk speed (or what ever you
>use to get the files to send). Writting stuff out to /dev/null instead
>of a file helps on the rx side. On the sender repeating the send a few
>times usually gets the file in the cache.
>
>It is usually better to try ttcp (which has a .mk) or another test tool.
>Here is a .mk for iperf which can also do udp testing.

I was also curious about that, but based on the behavior of all machines
i tested, it appears that drive access is rather quick. During most of
the transfer time, the drive LED is off, so i assume that drive I/O is
not an issue. Again tho, since I've been unable to find the cause, I'll
give your suggestion a try.

Thanks Andrew.

Tony