[uClibc] ld.so loading "false" libs

Stuart Hughes seh at zee2.com
Wed Sep 29 12:36:34 UTC 2004

Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 04:52 am, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> > I'm not sure this is the case.  When you are building software using
> > gcc/ld /etc/ld.so.conf is not used to search for additional libraries.
>
> run ld through strace and you'll see that you're wrong (no offense)
>
> this bug plagued me for probably a month or two before i tracked it back to
> binutils/ld/emultempl/elf32.em
> review that file and you'll see that ld DOES read /etc/ld.so.conf when looking
> for libraries that it was unable to find via the hardcoded paths (well, just
> for linux-gnu systems it does)
>
> patch i sent before:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/uclibc/40_all_binutils-uclibc-linker.patch
> -mike

Hi Mike,

You're right.  Actually what I was doing was using a gcc that used an
ld-linux that was not prefixed in the usual /usr (LFS bootstrap).  In
this case I needed to get gcc/ld to pick up my libraries from
<my_prefix>/X11, rather than the one specified in /etc/ld.so.conf.  In
many ways it's a little unfortunate that ld does look in
/etc/ld.so.conf.  Do you know an easy way of overriding this, or
changing this behaviour.

Regards, Stuart