[uClibc] ld.so loading "false" libs

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Sat Sep 25 13:55:02 UTC 2004

Hello!

In a native uclibc env I wanted to build an app, that needs itself to be
bootstrapped. This app as binary is only present as glibc version so I
have added all the required glibc libs to /usr/X11R6/lib including
libc.so.6, ld-linux.so.2 and made a link to /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (I haven't
copied any libc.so libm.so files, so at link time it should only find the
uclibc versions). I have built alsa-libs and ended up w/ dependency on
libc.so.6, although as I said libc.so points to libc.so.0 (uclibc)
I have also tried to enable ld.so.cache, and put these libs into
/usr/X11R6/lib6 adding this path to /etc/ld.so.conf, the same result.

Could it be that ld.so (from uClibc) looks for some functions, and if they
are found twice, it could get using the false one?
Could this be related to the fact that running ldd it shows all the time
(0x00000000) after the used lib (as opposed to glibc's ldd, where there
are different values, I think telling us which lib is used (some
kind of versioning)?
The hardcoded order of libs is /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib, which has
preference? Is this order ok, if a function is found twice, which one is
relevant at run-time, the first or the last?

How does the order in ld.so.conf influence this (if ld.so.cache is
enabled). if cache is enabled ldconfig show inverse order: first what is
in /etc/ld.so.conf, after that the hardcoded /usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/lib:/lib,
if ld.so.conf includes one of the hardcoded paths, it will be duplicated
in ldconfig -v.
glibc's ldconfig show /lib:/usr/lib (hardcoded) + what is in ld.so.conf in
order (no duplication)

Peter