[uClibc] [buildroot] Insmod fails on kernel 2.4

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
Fri Oct 29 09:24:52 UTC 2004

Hello,

This is not a bug report (I don't think there's a bug), but a question.
Yesterday, I tried to load a simple kernel module (a one with just
init_module, cleanup_module, init_module calling only printk). To
generate my root filesystem, of course I used buildroot. It was
generated with linux kernel headers 2.6.8. My box was running kernel 2.4.19.

When trying to insmod the module, I had a "Unresolved symbol printk"

I thought there was a backward compatibility and that insmod compiled
with linux kernel headers 2.6.8.0 would work with a kernel 2.4.x. As it
didn't work, I recompiled all my toolchain and the tools of my root
filesystem using linux kernel headers 2.4.25 (the one available with
buildroot).

When trying to insmod, I still have the message "Unresolved symbol printk".

Any idea of what's wrong ? I'm sure I did something wrong, but can't
find what.

BTW, can you please look at my fakeroot-version-patch, and
boa-strip-problem patch ?

Thanks,

Thomas
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
http://thomas.enix.org - Jabber: kos_tom at sourcecode.de
KOS: http://kos.enix.org/ - Lolut: http://lolut.utbm.info
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7