[uClibc] Re: The naming wars continue...

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Oct 26 08:37:07 UTC 2004

On Tue Oct 26, 2004 at 11:19:30AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> But how would it play together with glibc's /etc/ld.so.conf?
> There may be a need to have them separated...

There is an option to use a separate name...

> I am asking this because I am in a midst of attempt
> to make it possible to run binaries compiled for uclibc
> on "normal" (glibc) system.
>
> So far, I am wrestling with stuffing all uclibc libs
> into separate [/usr]/libu, because I see no way
> for uclibc-compiled glib to peacefully coexist with
> glibc-compiled one.

Well, they won't peacefully coexist in the same directory, thats
for sure.  The simplest method would be to use static linking.
The next easiest way, would be to use current CVS uClibc, enable
LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT, change LDSO_BASE_FILENAME to something like
"ld-uClibc.so", then setup /etc/ld-uClibc.so.conf with whatever
directories you want to use for uClibc linked shared libs and run
ldconfig to create /etc/ld-uClibc.so.cache.

> (The immediate goal is to have uclibc Midnight Commander to
> run on glibc system without breaking stuff. That's why I need
> both glibc- and uclibc-compiled glib)
>
> NB: imho all Erik's stuff absolutely rocks.

Thanks!  :-)  Although though there have been plenty of others
that have helped along the way...