[uClibc] PATCH: use __libc_gettimeofday instead of gettimeofday

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se
Wed Oct 20 23:15:55 UTC 2004

> > If ssp must live in its own lib, you probably need to do local copies of the above copies.
> > If ssp can live in libc, then have a look at how glibc does(mentioned earlier).
>
> A little bit to the "history" of ssp.
> Originally it is a patch for gcc, and __guard and __stack_smash_protector
> are living in libgcc (activated only if -fstack-protector is used)
> There were many problems w/ this approach (query bugs on gentoo), so
> (probably) gentoo devs decided to move it into glibc and the developer of
> the patch made it optional to have it either in libgcc or somewhere else.
> At about this time I started using ssp and it was added to uclibc too.
>
> So (probably) noone can tell you, how it should live "correctly" in glibc.

OK, but the key question is: Do you need to protect ssp from deliberate
misusue of internal functions by a programmer? After searching the www I don't think so,
SSP is used to protect from stack smash attacks after the program has started from
malformed input. Therefore the current approach should be good enough, do the rest of the
xx -> {__libc_xx or __xx} functions and you should be fine.

 Jocke