[uClibc] RE: Add libncurses to libreadline.so's dependency list

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Tue Nov 16 10:28:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

sent also to the list

> > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Tjernlund Hemma wrote:
> >
> > > Peter
> > >
> > > Can you find out if you can build libreadline.so so that
> > > libncurses is added to libreadline.so's dependency(DT_NEEDED) list?
> >
> > I am not sure now that I have read it twice, what you mean
> > libreadline.so comes from readline-4.3 package
> > libnurses.so comes from ncurses-5.4 package
> > readline.so is what is built in python
>
> I mean libreadline.so(from readline-4.3) should have a dependency
> on libnurses.so(from ncurses-5.4).
>

> > I don't believe that the readline package's libs should have some ncurses
> > reference. This dependency should only be in the readline.so lib from
> > python.
>
> I don't think so. This was why I sent a question to the list.
> Consider the case of just doing a dlopen(libreadline.so), that
> will fail to reloc tgetent because libdl will not know that
> libreadline.so also needs libncurses.so.

read the comment in readline's INSTALL file for --with-curses:
which also says that libreadline.so is explicitely not built against
libncurses, only the example programs to allow users to choose either
libtermcap or libncurses.

Can such a case be handled w/ DT_NEEDED (one of 2 libs)?

Peter