[uClibc] PATCH: My patches adapted to current cvs

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Mon Nov 8 14:50:53 UTC 2004

> On Behalf Of Peter S. Mazinger
> Hello!
>
> The attached tarball includes all the patches I consider going into 0.9.27
> Apply them in the following order.
> 1. asflags
> Replaces all CFLAGS w/ ASFLAGS, if an object is built from assembler code.
> The current functionality is not changed in any way.
> I have left the usage of SFLAGS as it was (in context), these should be
> considered to be replaced w/ ASFLAGS+= and use ASFLAGS instead as compile
> option
>
> 2. pie-correction
> Removes the conditions to create the Scrt1.o file (the files are created
> on x86/ppc/frv all the time), and use the option only to build ldd/iconv
> as PIE executables.
> The current functionality is not changed in any way.
>
> 3. pie_support-has_pie
> Renames UCLIBC_PIE_SUPPORT option to UCLIBC_BUILD_PIE
> The current functionality is not changed, but due to the option name
> change, buildroot's configs have to adapted
>
> 4. ssp-correction
> Corrects the usage of the SSP_FLAGS
> If UCLIBC_PROPOLICE is not enabled, the current functionality is not
> changed in any way. If the option is enabled, all libs and execs are built
> w/ -fstack-protector and -fstack-protector-all enabling full protection,
> unless it is not possible for some reason (libc/ldso)
>
> 5. propolice-has_ssp
> The UCLIBC_PROPOLICE option is splitted to UCLIBC_HAS_SSP and
> UCLIBC_BUILD_SSP, meaning:
> HAS_SSP: add ssp.c to libc
> BUILD_SSP: build all the libs/execs w/ max. ssp protection
> Current functionality is not changed, but due to the option name change,
> buildroot's configs have to be adapted
>
> 6. sec
> Adds a security submenu to menuconfig, moving PIE and SSP related options
> there and adds UCLIBC_BUILD_RELRO and UCLIBC_BUILD_NOW options, meaning
> build all w/ -z relro, resp. build all w/ -z now.
> The new options default to n.
> The current functionality is not changed.
> Maybe it would be better to also add a common security option, and if that
> one is disabled, all the others in the submenu are disabled as well (if
> future changes are done within this submenu, those not setting the common
> security option won't see any change, the build systems won't have to
> change/adapt configs)
>
> 7. main
> Part of Jocke's .protected main patch
>
> 8. zdefs
> Adds zdefs commonly to all LDFLAGS (can only be used in conjunction
> w/ patch 7.
> on x86, else libc will fail to build)
>
> 9. fgets_unlocked
> adds extern fgets_unlocked where needed
>
> 10. no_dl_do_copy_reloc
> disables dl_do_copy_reloc, it's not used
>
> 11. nocache
> This patch was already sent to the list, and was not accepted, because it
> has too many ifdefs, it makes ld.so smaller if ld.so.cache support is
> [...]

After a quick look I think 1-6 are OK and could probably go in. Need Eriks
blessing first though.

7 and 8: OK, if Erik is OK with this. I am not sure that nothing bad will happen.

9. No comment, I have no idea as to why this is needed.

10. Sure, will do.

12. No comment, I have no idea as to why this is needed.