[uClibc] Re: DNS server (was Re: [BusyBox] An alternative to buildroot.)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 31 20:43:59 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 09:55, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2004, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I'm working to get c++ up and running so I can build python under this
> > thing (so I can use the oak dns server).
>
> I hope they've fix it since this was written:
>
>  Oak DNS Server is a good example of why novices shouldn't try to write
>  DNS software. The digitallumber.net domain, served by Oak DNS Server 1.0,
> is inaccessible to a huge number of clients that try AAAA lookups before A
> lookups: the server incorrectly returns NXDOMAIN for AAAA, effectively
> wiping out its own A record.

Considering I was halfway through writing my _own_ DNS server (also in python)
when I found it, I consider it a good base for my own personal twiddling.  If
nothing else, I can take apart how it works in order to finish mine...

The main problem seems to be that the guy who runs it just hasn't had the time
to put in on it.  Version 1.4 is up on the website
(http://www.digitallumber.com/oak/code/oak-1.4.tar.gz), but the only way to
find that is to root around a lot and guess at URLs.  (The links to it are
broken...)

> Anyway, FWIW, I've successfully built djbdns against uClibc. tinydns
> executable is 50k (mipsel). dnscache is 110k.

I think the "djb" part sums up why I'm not going near it.  (I won't touch
qmail, either.)

> --
> Charlie

Rob

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)