[uClibc] Autoconfiscating uClibc

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat May 29 19:12:10 UTC 2004

Manuel Novoa III wrote:

>>However, autoconfiscation would make it easy
>>to integrate uClibc into GCC's uberbaum build
>>machinery in place of newlib.
>>
>>Building an uClibc based toolchain in a single step
>>without a complex external script would be a very
>>desiderable feature.
>
> Agreed, and it is something I've thought about off and on.  Adding a
> "configure" script should be easy enough to do.  So the bulk of the
> work would probably be making the uClibc build system respect VPATH.

I think autoconf doesn't use the GNU make VPATH feature to
perform out-of-tree builds.

Building uClibc out-of-tree would definitely be useful even
without autoconf.  My current build script must do very nasty
things to build m68k multilib targets.

The biggest problem with the in-tree build of multilib targets
is that you must rebuild everything from scratch when you change
something.

>>If somebody wants to do the uClibc related work,
>>I'll do the required changes in GCC's top-level
>>configure and automake and push patches into
>>GCC's repository.
>
> Regretably, neither Erik or I have had any significant amount of time
> for uClibc development in what seems like months.  And the only patch
> I've seen (maybe a year ago) towards integrating uClibc in gcc's
> build system added a configure script that actually copied the entire
> uClibc source tree to the build dir.

That's really a kludge, but it would be still better than
nothing ;-)

\X/  http://www.develer.com/