[uClibc] Autoconfiscating uClibc

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Sat May 29 17:43:16 UTC 2004

Hello,

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 07:17:27PM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> I was wondering how much effort would take to add
> autoconf support to the uClibc build infrastructure.
>
> I don't think uClibc itself would benefit much from
> this change.  The kernel KBuild infrastructure is up
> to the task and very convenient for the user.

We definitely don't want to use autoconf.  But...

> However, autoconfiscation would make it easy
> to integrate uClibc into GCC's uberbaum build
> machinery in place of newlib.
>
> Building an uClibc based toolchain in a single step
> without a complex external script would be a very
> desiderable feature.

Agreed, and it is something I've thought about off and on.  Adding a
"configure" script should be easy enough to do.  So the bulk of the
work would probably be making the uClibc build system respect VPATH.

> If somebody wants to do the uClibc related work,
> I'll do the required changes in GCC's top-level
> configure and automake and push patches into
> GCC's repository.

Regretably, neither Erik or I have had any significant amount of time
for uClibc development in what seems like months.  And the only patch
I've seen (maybe a year ago) towards integrating uClibc in gcc's
build system added a configure script that actually copied the entire
uClibc source tree to the build dir.

Manuel