[uClibc] Linux 2.6 ROMFS vs EXT2

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 11 02:15:46 UTC 2004

I did some stuff on romfs 2 years ago. Let me recall...

I think romfs isn't intended to be a initrd.
Initrd stands for "Init Ram Disk". Usually to boot
on a initrd, it must be rw mode.

I'd suggest you keep your romfs for directories that
do not need rw, but can be ro. Typically /usr/X11R6
and /opt which may contain some big software not
needed to boot.

Note that the kernel panic is not complaining about
not being able to rw. Check /proc/filesystems is
romfs able. It's seldom the case unless you
specifically turn it on in kernel config.

Christian
--

--- Pete Flugstad <peteflugstad at mchsi.com> a écrit :
> Greetings all!
>
>    I'm having problems booting a ROMFS buildroot image, and I'm hoping
> someone can point out my idiotic mistake somewhere.  I know this might
> not be the exact right forum for this, but I'm hoping you'll overlook
> that, or point me in the right direction.

(...)