[uClibc] Change in Mailing List Posting Policy

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon Jun 21 18:00:54 UTC 2004

Bennett Todd wrote:

> 2004-06-20T13:08:10 Alexandre Oliva:
>
>>On Jun 20, 2004, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Sending an automated rejection e-mail shouldn't be too hard
>>
>>And is exactly what I got for cross-posting to the busybox list
>>that I'm not subscribed to :-)
>

> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there might be a downside to
> such a config. spammers routinely forge not only headers but also
> the envelope sender. Won't such bounces be sent to the victims of
> such joe-job spams, adding to their pain?

Yes, this will happen, and is commonly referred to as "collateral spam".
  If you read any of the GNU autotools lists, you see this stuff all the
time; today there were even messages where autoconf at gnu.org was listed
as the "envelope sender", and the "envelope receiver" was another GNU
autotools list, so the "you are not subscribed" message was sent back to
a _mailing list_, thus compounding the issue.

This is a tough problem to solve; real people who want to post as
non-subscribers should be given the privilege of being informed why
their message wasn't accepted, but they are a small fraction of the
non-subscriber messages, and the rest will generate collateral spam if
there is any type of automatic notification.