[uClibc] Porting uClibc to an MMU based architecture

Jagbir Singh Randhawa jagbir.randhawa at codito.com
Thu Jun 10 09:48:37 UTC 2004

Greetings.

I need to port uClibc to work on a particular MMU based architecture which is
running a port of linux 2.4.20.

I am constrained to work with the following tools __only__ :
1. gcc 2.95.3
2. binutils 2.9.1

As I understand, uClibc gained the functionality to run on processors with
MMUs fairly recently, the primary aim so far being to run on MMU-less
processors.

My questions are:
1. Will I be able to build uClibc (ideally the latest version -- uClibc
0.9.26), with shared library support, with the above tools ?

As in, do the above tools supply all the necessary features needed by uClibc
0.9.26 ?

If not, what are the features I should demand from the tools ?

2. Other than the sysdeps folder supplying architecture specific code to
implement fork(), clone () and company, what other areas of the uClibc source
tree will need changes to implement shared library and dynamic loading
support for MMU based architectures ?

3. How different is the dynamic loader in uClibc from the one in glibc, a
cursory glance reveals a difference in the way the sources are arranged
atleast.

4. Other than the source (yes, the source is with me Obi), what other
knowledge bases exist to aid me in my effort ?

Thanks and regards,
Robin