[uClibc] about the name of your project

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Fri Jun 4 20:49:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:39:01PM +0300, George Andreou wrote:
> The question is, when you are saying the letters of a foreign alphabet
> do you pronounce them, the way you feel confortable, or the way the
> native people pronounce the letters?

If the languages are different enough, the proper sounds may not even
exist in the speaker's native language.  Japanese borrows some words
from English, but changes the pronounciation to fit Japanese syllables.

Place names can also be specific to a language. A single city or
country can have very different names in different languages.

If I'm speaking English to someone in Ottawa (where primarily-English
Ontario and primarily-French Quebec are separated by little more than
a footbridge), should I use the English or French pronounciation of
"Quebec"?

> A good example is the letter "R" which is pronounced as 'are' in English
> but as 'ere' in French.

Even better: the letter "Z" is pronounced "Zee" in the USA and "Zed"
in most other English-speaking countries.  Native English speakers
can't even agree on our _own_ alphabet :-). I think the USA and England
also disagree on the names of some numbers.

                                                  -Dave Dodge