[uClibc] about the name of your project

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Jun 4 12:03:51 UTC 2004

On Thu Jun 03, 2004 at 02:33:23PM +0300, George Andreou wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I am Greek, and as I was browsing the Internet, I follow some links and
> found your site.
> Reading in the FAQ:
> >>>
> Why is it called uClibc?
>
> The letter 'u' is short for µ (the greek letter "mu"). µ is commonly
> used as the abbreviation for the word "micro". The capital "C" is short
> for "controller". So the name uClibc is sortof an abbreviation for "the
> microcontroller C library". For simplicity, uClibc is pronounced
> "yew-see-lib-see".
> <<<
>
> I am sorry to inform you for your error here.
> You see, there is no letter "mu" in the greek language.
> µ is called "mi" in greek. "Mu" maybe it is the sound of a cow, but
> definitely not the greek letter µ.
>
> Consider change the name of your lib or the explanation...

The SI prefix µ, meaning micro or 10^-6 is specified as part
of "Le Système International d'Unités"
	http://www.bipm.fr/en/si/prefixes.html

According to NIST,
	http://physics.nist.gov/Document/typefaces.pdf
in the table "Greek alphabet in roman and italic type" it shows
"mu" as the name for µ, and apparently bases this on the
international standards ISO 31-0:1992 through ISO 31-13:1992.