[uClibc] Dropbear compilation troubles w/uClibc

Nick Jennings nick at iaminsane.com
Wed Jul 14 08:59:24 UTC 2004

Hi All, I am still working on this documentation explaining toolchain and
buildroot. Making some headway actually, got the toolchain complete, and
am now working on deciphering the buildroot make/*.mk files for the extra
packages.

Right now I have busybox and tinylogin compiled off the toolchain and
installed into the to-be 'root' filesystem. I was working on getting dropbear
installed as well but am having trouble with the configure process.

First off, I edited the options.h and enabled DROPBEAR_MULTI, then I ran
'autoconf' which gave no output. Then I set my environment variables and ran
configure and below is the resulting error from configure about a missing
zlib,even though I have it installed.

[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$
PATH=/home/builder/sandbox/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x/toolchain_i386/bin/:$PATH[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$ CFLAGS="-Os"
[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$ export PATH CFLAGS
[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$ which i386-linux-uclibc-gcc
/home/builder/sandbox/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x/toolchain_i386/bin/i386-linux-uclibc-gcc[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$ ./configure --target=i386-linux
--host=i386-linux --build=i586-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
--mandir=/usr/man --infodir=/usr/info --disable-nls --with-sharedchecking for i386-linux-gcc... i386-linux-gcc
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes

...<snip>...

checking whether __UCLIBC__ is declared... yes
Using uClibc - login() and logout() probably don't work
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
checking for deflate in -lz... no
configure: error: *** zlib missing - install first or check config.log ***
[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$ rpm -qa zlib*
zlib1-1.2.1-2mdk
zlib1-devel-1.2.1-2mdk
[builder at localhost dropbear-0.42]$

So zlib1 and zlib1-devel are installed. Is it complaining about it not being
in the 'rootfs' or somehow a part of the toolchain? I don't see how that
could be since in the buildroot Makefile, they seem mutually exclusive. eg.
TARGETS is either 'dropbear_sshd' or 'zlib openssl openssh'