[uClibc] Porting results

Michael O'Brien mob at mbedthis.com
Tue Jul 13 04:53:12 UTC 2004

Hi,

Just wanted to post some results of integrating uClibc with our embedded
web server: Mbedthis AppWeb, and say thanks for your work on uClibc.

We had two issues that were easily resolved:

1. Needing to use C++ but not wanting to use libstdc++, we replaced it
   with our own libminiStdc++. As we don't use exceptions or any of the
   standard library, this was very easy and worked great. This
   eliminated needing to link with -lm as well. I'd be happy to provide
   the source for this library if anyone has a similar need.

2. Threads are created with a different thread group under uClibc. This
   required some code adjustment to have the original thread listen to
   a SIGCHLD and log the child death record.

3. Had to modify our build environment somewhat to work better with
   cross-compiling. This was totally our flaw.

Now the results. Due to eliminating libstdc and libm and uClibc of
course our full-up, in-memory footprint came down from ~800K to ~400K.
This includes: core server, virtual hosts, multithreaded operation, CGI,
EGI, Embedded javascript and embedded server pages, sessions, cookies,
loadable modules, Digest authentication, etc. And a minimal footprint of
110K.

So, thanks for creating uClibc. Great work. We're integrating AppWeb
with uClinux using uClibc so it will be straight forward for users to
configure and deploy.

If your interested in reading more about AppWeb:

http://www.mbedthis.com/

And the doc at:

http://www.mbedthis.com/products/appWeb/doc/

Cheers