[uClibc] toolchain & buildroot script understanding...

Glenn R Heard Jr gheard at zoominternet.net
Sat Jul 10 14:13:14 UTC 2004

Hi All,

    Let me see if some of the knowledge I've gleened from the list is correct.

    The toolchain scripts make a set of tools that are intended to be installed right along side of the standard libraries and bins ( ie installs tools to /usr/bin and libs to /usr/lib etc. ) Such that one could cross compile without having a non-standard directory tree like so many other cross compiler make?

    The buildroot script build a root fs image that can be chroot'd and then used to cross compile for a target other than the hosts? ( ie my host is i386 my target is arm... the rootfs can be used on the i386 to make apps for the target ARM ).

    Lastly... it appears to me ( although I am no expert ) that buildroot is a more robust setup since you do not have to worry about "host" development botching your "target" libs because the two root fss' are kept serperate.

Please feel free to either correct or simply chide my feeble understanding.

Glenn Heard
Software Engineer
Altronic Inc
http://www.altronicinc.com/