[uClibc] self hosting uclibc

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 8 12:23:11 UTC 2004

--- "Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." <rogelio at smsglobal.net> a écrit :
> >> Im using buildroot right now so i can build a reference system.
> >
> > IMHO, buildroot *is* a reference system :)
> >
> Is it semantics? For me buildroot is what we use to build the reference
> system. I see it as a tool. But of course i understand what you mean.

You're right, I'm wrong. I meant root_fs generated thru buildroot is
the reference system, self-sufficient.

> I have a reference system now.
>
> What I really want to test is if i can use the reference system to build
> itself after installing a few missing packages of course. Has anyone done
> that before? Or is a glibc based host system necessary?

I'd say yes. You need to 'mount --bind' the src directories, as usually
the amount of inodes allocated in the root_fs is small (<=100Mb).
I already used for example the root_fs arm, which was cross-compiled
on x86 I presume, and did uclibc/gcc/binutils/xfree compilations on my
ipaq h2210.

I guarantee glibc was never involved in it :). The initrd is uclibc based,
the root_fs also, and my mount is over nfs on sources only. It's cool to
see an ipaq h2210 doing compilation with root_fs. Slow (gcc>=3.x.x) but
cool. :)

hope this helped,
Christian