[uClibc] Locale/Gettext support in uClibc and buildroot.

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Tue Jul 6 15:55:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 04:00:38PM +0800, Gary, Wong wrote:
> I would like to know the locale/gettext support in uClibc and buildroot,
> as the Makefile notice that all the locale stuff only support for x86.
> How about other platform such as arm?

The pregenerated locale data is only guaranteed to work on x86.  People
have built their own for other archs however.

> More, I wrote a test program of gettext, and made test.mo located in
> /usr/share/locale/<locale>/LC_MESSAGES/, but it didn't  show the
> translated testing string. What's wrong with the test program and the
> buildroot?  This code is work in my desktop when I compile and run it
> with glibc.

uClibc does not currently support the gettext api other than in a
nonfunctional stub version.  I had planned to add such support and do a
major reworking of the locale implementation as well, but other projects
have taken priority.

For now, you may link with gnu gettext.

Manuel