[uClibc] Toolchain procedure questions...

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 6 11:33:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Nick Jennings wrote:

>  Aha! here is the first problem (and as far as I got last night, using
>  your email as a reference).
>  The patch files were generated based on binutils-2.14.90.0.7 ... what's
>  the difference between this and just 2.14? I don't know, but based on the
>  timestamp on the ftp.kernel.org site, it's from Oct. 2003. The patches
>  generate lots of .rej files when I try to patch against just plain 2.14
>  or 2.15 (this was the first patch, x-001-debian.patch).

 The .90. series come from HJ Lu.  They are more focussed on linux, with
things taken from the FSF HEAD development tree, and released more often
than the FSF version.

 For a first build, you will probably do better using the versions in
the Makefile rather than trying to work out how much of the patches to
apply to newer versions.  2.14.90.0.8 might not be too different, but
anything newer (2.15, 2.15.90) will be very different.

 Plain 2.14 is old, hjl has fixes for various problems which may or may
not be relevant to you.

Ken