[uClibc] Toolchain procedure questions...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jul 6 02:42:39 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 11:51, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 05:51:36PM +0200, Nick Jennings wrote:
> > Hi all, I have read several threads from people who have had trouble
> > getting a grasp on the uClibc toolchain proceedure. The documentation is
> > non-existent, and what is written about it just points people to the
> > "auto-magical" build environments which take care of the details for you.
>
> Because there is no documentation to speak of, other than the build
> process itself as documented in the makefiles of buildroot and
> toolchain.

You might find my toolchain build script a bit easier going than buildroot
(it's a bash script rather than a big set of nested make files).  But it only
builds a c compiler, not c++.

Here, let me upload the new version...

http://www.landley.net/code/firmware

It builds a fully working system with development tools (using uclibc, the 2.6
kernel, and busybox instead of most gnu packages).  However, it's got a lot
of rough edges if you actually try to use it.  (It's got an ssh server, but
no ssh client.  No ftp client either.  No shutdown command...  You have to
remember to create an /etc/ftab, and an /etc/inittab...)

I'm still working on it, but at the moment I'm busy rewriting init...

Rob

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)