[uClibc] locale and pango font rendering of chinese texts

Selwyn Tang selwyn at hectrix.com
Wed Jan 21 03:47:04 UTC 2004

on 21/1/2004 11:38 Manuel Novoa III said the following:
> There are 2 issues here.  You will want real locale support _and_ you
> will want to build gnu gettext since the gettext-related functions in

Since gtk+-directfb depends on glib, which depends on gettext, I think I
am affected by this.

> uClibc are currently stubs.  Also, be aware that UTF-8 is currently the
> only multibyte codeset supported by uClibc locales.

I am using pango and it requires UTF-8 texts. The string I pass to it is
of char * and should be in UTF-8 already.

> I am currently working on adding real gettext support to uClibc, as
> well as cleaning up locale internals.

So in conclusion, my problem should be related to the difference in
locale handling between glibc and uclibc, right?

Selwyn