[uClibc] Need Perl in prebuilt root fs

bk/sm void at dodo.com.au
Sat Jan 17 23:04:19 UTC 2004

> > Perl, and someones comment that it should be ok,
>
> It _does_ build fine... at least with reasonably modern uClibcs.
> What version are you using?  Is perl compiling with -D_GNU_SOURCE?
> If not, then YESTR and NOSTR will _not_ be defined as they were
> deprecated in susv3 and removed in susv3.
>
> > I have found that this is a known bug with uclibc, and there
> > is a patch:
> >
> > www.geocities.com/robm351/uclibc/index-2.html
>
> Yes... That's the patch I posted to the list about a year and a half
> ago.  Not long after, I fixed the YESSTR/NOSTR problem for the stub
> locale case.  While the -lpthread stuff is still relevant to get
> around a shared linker problem, the YESSTR/NOSTR part has not been
> needed in ages.

Manuel,
I've still got the problem.
I'm using the prebuilt root filesystem, uclibc v0.9.24, and have the
Perl v5.8.0 source tarball. I did:
 ./Configure -de -Darchname=i386-linux
I tried both with and without defining GNU_SOURCE, though from
looking at configure.in it does seem to be the default.

Compiling gets most of the way through, and I do get the perl and
miniperl executables, but stops here:

In file included from Langinfo.xs:9:
const-c.inc: In function 'constant-5':
const-c.inc:197: error 'NOSTR' undeclared
const-c.inc:301: error 'YESSTR' undeclared

...etc.

So, should I apply the patch to Perl? Will it still work on Perl
v5.8.0, which is fairly recent I think. I checked at the Perl home
page, and 5.8.3 is the latest stable.

I need to get Perl installed, as have some packages that I can't
compile without it.
In a whimsical moment, I placed the miniperl executable into
/usr/bin, renamed it to perl, then tried to compile the "libwww"
package, which previously had not configured as it wanted Perl
--the darn thing configured, compiled and installed.
But, it doesn't work for any other packages, as most of Perl is a
huge pile of stuff that installs into a lib folder.
A note also, that miniperl can't handle dynamic modules.

Regards,
Barry Kauler