[uClibc] Re: make install_target has vanished ?

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Jan 13 06:04:02 UTC 2004

On Mon Jan 12, 2004 at 05:02:56PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	<Not suscribed to the mailing lists>
>
> 	In the latest version, it still says :
> --- Makefile ----------------------------
> # Installs run-time libraries and helper apps onto the host system
> # allowing cross development.  If you want to deploy to a target
> # system, use the "install_target" target instead...
> install_runtime:
> ifeq ($(strip $(HAVE_SHARED)),y)

Oops.  Fixed now.

> 	However, it seems that install_target has been removed :
> http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/uClibc/Makefile?r1=1.232&r2=1.233
> 	The CVS log is not clear on why.
>
> 	The 'INSTALL' file doesn't provide any hint on
> alternative. Looking at the Makefile, it seems that no other option
> does provide similar functionality, but I'm not 100% clear on what
> 'install_utils' does.

The "install_target" target was removed since there was no reason
to duplicate the install.  The "install_runtime" target works
properly, regardless of what one happens to do with the runtime
libs after installation.

To install to multiple locations (such as once to the host
system, and once to a target system), one should simply run the
"install_runtime" target multiple times with PREFIX and other
values changed as needed, i.e.

    make PREFIX=$(STAGING_DIR) install_dev install_runtime
    make PREFIX=$(TARGET_DIR) install_runtime install_utils