[uClibc] debian root_fs_i386.bz2 problems

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 12 19:46:20 UTC 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 11:38, darrin001 at sympatico.ca wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> I'm having trouble using the root_fs image, and can't figure out what to do
> next to resolve the problem.
>
> A similar question was asked back in May 2002, but neither of the two
> replies seem to help:
> http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-May/006150.html
>
> Essentially, when I chroot into the unpacked root_fs image, no commands
> work, even basic things like ls.  I get back a: Error ?ls ? function not
> supported?

What's your $PATH set to when you chroot?

> It also doesn't seem to be able to load the shell (/bin/sh or /bin/bash)

How do you chroot into it then?

It's possible that it's not actually compiled for i386, but for i586 or i686.

What system are you trying to run it on.  (And how are you unpacking/chrooting
into it?  Loopback mount?)

> I've also tried copying the directory structure from the mounted image to
> an actual drive, and chrooting into that, with the same effect.  If I don't
> chroot into the directory, and instead cd to the bin directory normally
> (ie: cd /mnt/hdc3/root_fs/bin) and try to execute something like "./ls" or
> "./busybox", I get a command not found error.  Of course "ls -l busybox"
> shows that busybox *is* there, and is set executable, etc..

And dynamically linked against shared libraries that are not in your library
path if you didn't chroot.  (In fact the hardwired path to the dynamic loader
itself is probably your first problem.)

> I'm at my wits end here ... I've tried everything I can think of.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you try to mount/chroot and give us a cut and paste of the terminal
session with the actual error messages?

> Thanks,
> Darren S.

Rob