[uClibc] Re: Again some buildroot patches

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sun Jan 11 11:10:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:51:15AM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> > When building within the uClibc root, you should better also configure a
> > fully fledged shell, sed, textutils etc. Configure scripts typically make
> > heavy use of those tools, and the busybox doesn't implement everything
[...]
> Note that I have an explicit goal of making the busybox versions of all those
> tools work as part of a functional development environment.  I've already
> done some work on sed and bzip (although there's a lot more to come).  You
> should have MUCH better luck with the cvs 0.9?? version than with the
> ancient, obsolete "almost as old as debian stable" 0.60 version.

Mega-OOPS :-)

Indeed, it's 0.60.5 here. But not because of debian (I deny the existence
of distributions), but only because I didn't update for more than a year.

I'll update my busybox ASAP.

> Of course busybox doesn't have everything.  It hasn't got an implementation of
> make, diff, or bison.

That's o.k.; for *large* tools, it wouldn't be worth to put them into
busybox, possibly reimplementing them.

> And since when is "ed" part of a development
> environment?  [...]

You can do scripted inplace-editing with ed (without explicitely using
temporary files, as required by sed). So I would not state that no one
uses ed scripts anymore. OTH, one could probably use ex instead of ed,
and ex is part of vi.

> But most of the rest of the stuff should eventually be usable from busybox as
> part of a development environment.  The fact it isn't yet means I have work
> to do, but I'm happy to receive test cases on just about any of those.  (sed
> especially, that seems to be the one that autoconf really beats to death.)
[...]
> Just because configure worked doesn't mean it produced the correct output.
> Extract two trees, run one with the gnu tools in the $PATH and run one with
> busybox in the $PATH, then compare the results.  (Easiest way to debug this
> stuff, I've found.  Shows you what it was expected to do, and where it
> diverged...)

I'll try to rebuild everything and check for differences with an updated
busybox today or tomorrow.

Ciao,
	Kili