[uClibc] Re: Query about uclinux/uclibc ABI and system tuple.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jan 11 00:10:51 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 09:11, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Rob Landley wrote:
> > As for General Library Settings: there's a lot of stuff you can switch
> > off, but how much of it do we care about?
>
> Anything which adds bloat?

It's only interesting to support a finite number of ABIs.  It will be possible
to configure uclibc in ways config.guess doesn't recognize, but will anybody
ever offer preprepared binaries for that configuration?

> >  For one thing, modern systems are
> > pretty much ALWAYS going to want Shadow Password Support, Unix 98 PTYs,
> > /dev/pts, large file support...
>
> Why does my 32MB total address space embedded system want large file
> support?  (Presumably it comes at a cost).

The first question is, does it affect the ABI?  (Not every config option does,
and some are just "if this isn't enabled, your program can't use it, but if
your program doesn't try to use it you're ok and don't have to recompile
uclibc.)

The second question is, will anybody ever prepare and distribute binaries for
you personally, or are you going to just have to bite the bullet and build
from source?

> Charlie

Rob