[uClibc] Re: Again some buildroot patches

Selwyn Tang selwyn at hectrix.com
Wed Jan 7 09:04:47 UTC 2004

On 01/07/04 16:48, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> I regularly build perl 5.8.2 within a rootfs without problems.
> There is one small patch required to build it, over and above the
> shared loader bug pthread workaround.

Can you tell me more about the patch? Where to get it?

I tried building 5.8.0 within the chroot'd rootfs, following perl's own
INSTALL. After running "sh Configure -de", two makefiles was produced,
'makefile' and 'Makefile'. make seemed to read 'makefile' only, and it
complained about line 856 of it, which was:

/****** the next line is line 854 ******/
# AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED MAKE DEPENDENCIES--PUT NOTHING BELOW THIS LINE
# If this runs make out of memory, delete /usr/include lines.
0					/**** line 856 ****/
av$(OBJ_EXT): /usr/include/alloca.h
av$(OBJ_EXT): /usr/include/arpa/inet.h
/****** end ******/

Obviously, that '0' was a mistake. I manually deleted that line and
tried make again, but eventually it died at line 156 of x2p/makefile:

/***** the next line is line 154 ****/
# AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED MAKE DEPENDENCIES--PUT NOTHING BELOW THIS LINE
# If this runs make out of memory, delete /usr/include lines.
cmp: perlmain.c: No such file or directory
hash$(OBJ_EXT): ../config.h
hash$(OBJ_EXT): ../handy.h

Again, it's a corrupted makefile problem. I just get frustrated! The
makefiles seem never to be correctly generated. Sigh...

> I never build perl with buildroot itself, although 5.8.2 should be
> easier to get working since it has the cross-compile patch already
> applied.

I'll try and tell you my result.

Selwyn