[uClibc] PIE support for inclusion into 0.9.24

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon Jan 5 10:12:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 01:06:43AM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > Hello Erik!
> >
> > I have made some cosmetical changes to the files, removed the added
> > SCRT=-fPIC option from building the crt0.S file (but it is a requirement
> > to build them with -fPIC), and changed some comments. I have left the
> > ldso.c patch with PIE_SUPPORT ifdefs, but consider applying it w/o them
> > (see some earlier comment from PaX Team on this issue, as it is considered
> > a bug). To have it work correctly, you'll also need removing
> > COMPLETELY_PIC.
> > One thing is missing: PIE_SUPPORT should be usable only for i386 (for
> > now).
> >
> > Also added the support for propolice protection (that works for me and
> > catches memcpy/strcpy attacks (but needs a special gcc version).
>
> Applied, finally.....
>
>  -Erik

Thanks, there is one issue left. What to do with COMPLETELY_PIC? It's used
in Config.sh but it is not defined elsewhere so it can be only forced but
not chosen. Do you really need this option, it only does not allow
FORCE_SHAREABLE_SEGMENTS to be chosen/forced? If you want it, then it has
to have a comment to have it as option, else remove it and change the
option in Config.sh to FORCE_SHAREABLE_SEGMENTS.

Consider also the removal of the PIE_SUPPORT option from ldso.c (see
earlier pageexec at freemail.hu comments on it, that it is rather a bug,
then a feature).
It works on i386, can't test on other archs.

Peter

--
Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m at gmx.net>   ID: 0xA5F059F2    NIC: IXUYHSKQLI