[uClibc] Question on 'C compiler cannot create executables' error message

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Feb 25 22:00:31 UTC 2004

On Wed Feb 25, 2004 at 04:56:42PM -0500, Burt Bicksler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've searched the archives and found several messages that relate to
> this error message.
>
> We are building for cross-compiling running the toolchain on an x86
> machine with our target being a mips little endian board.

http://www.uclibc.org/FAQ.html#autoconf

When you are cross-compiling, autoconf and automake are known to
behave badly. This is because a large number of configure scripts
(such as the one from openssh) try to actually execute
applications that were cross compiled for your target system.
This is bad, since of course these won't run, and this will also
prevent your programs from compiling. You need to complain to the
authors of these programs and ask them to fix their broken
configure scripts.