[uClibc] buildroot in an uClibc env

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Feb 15 05:32:28 UTC 2004

On Feb 14, 2004, "Joakim Tjernlund" <Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se> wrote:

>> I was actually looking into abusing the (incorrect AFAICT) use of
>> copyrel here to enable _dl_find_hash to return the address of a
>> function descriptor in the FR-V FDPIC port, when the symbol it finds
>> happens to be a function.

> Can't you use ELF32_ST_TYPE(sym->st_info) == STT_FUNC for that?

Definitely.  But either it is done within _dl_find_hash, or I have to
arrange for _dl_find_hash to return a Sym/tpnt pair.  And the latter
actually feels like a good idea to me, but I didn't feel like
reworking it so heavily without asking first :-)

>> After this change, I guess I'm going to need to add a new relocation
>> class to get this effect, or give _dlsym some means to figure out
>> whether the symbol is a function or not.

> A new class would work if not the above STT_FUNC stuff is sufficient.

A new class would use the STT_FUNC above.  I've implemented this in my
0.9.23-based tree, but I'll have to update it to mainline after your
patch goes in.

> Not really, I don't know what FDPIC is.

The FR-V FDPIC ABI uses function descriptors to enable loadable
segments to be relocated by different amounts such that text segments
can be shared on an MMU-less system.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}