[uClibc] uClibc is awesome

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri Feb 13 02:03:54 UTC 2004

I'm building a distro based on uClibc, using static linking for
almost everything. I _like_ it. Basically no troubles at all, until
I hit Postfix; then I trawled the archives for this mailing list and
discovered that if I upgraded to current CVS (I just grabbed the
latest snapshot tarball) I'd have a real -lresolv, and sure enough
it's fine.

I think I'll be switching my primary workstation over to this new
distro this weekend.

If anyone cares to see my work, it's at
<URL:http://bent.latency.net/bent/>. Almost all the cpio.bz2s are
ready-to-install binary packages, and they make up a
self-bootstrapping standalone uClibc dev env --- the tree resulting
from unpacking them, you can chroot into and rebuild them all.

The software packaging tool I'm doing this with I call bpm, it's one
of those cpio.bz2s, and it depends only on ogdlutils (and a dev
toolchain otherwise of course).

The cpio.bz2s that aren't bpm packages are called
bpmdist-`date +%s`.cpio.bz2, and they're snapshots of all the real
work --- the spec files and patches and whatnot --- that construct
the distro. The oldest predates my conversion from Lua to OGDL for
spec files, the rest capture intermediate states. Tomorrow's upload
will capture the results of tonight's update from uClibc 0.9.26 to
today's CVS snapshot, once I finish rebuilding the whole world under
the new uClibc.

-Bennett