[uClibc] no-{locale,wchar} and sed

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Feb 11 22:54:08 UTC 2004

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 07:34:37PM -0300, Alejandro Mery wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm trying to build a box with uclibc (no-wchar and no-locale) but i stoped on sed-4.08.
>
> i saw that config.h set HAVE_LOCALE because it found locale.h. question: why does uclibc installs it if i said him to not use locale?

The locale.h header is part of standard C.  When you configure uClibc
without locale support, it still includes locale.h and supplies stub
versions of setlocale() and localeconv() which satisfy the minimal
requirements.

> well... i removed locale.h, bits/locale.h and langinfo.h. now config.h don't say it has locale support but sed still failling with:
>
> 686-unknown-linux-uclibc-gcc-33 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../lib -I../intl -I.. -I../lib -g -O
> 2 -c -o regex.o regex.c
> In file included from regex.c:48:
> regex_internal.h:660: error: parse error before "wchar_t"
> regex_internal.h:660: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

My guess would be that, since wchar_t wasn't defined, the compiler was
treating wchar_t as the variable name and expecting a ';' after it.

> i don't what else to do to fix it, any ideas? if you need more info i'll gladly answer.

I'd be very surprised if you could find any recent gnu sed that would
build in a no-wchar environment.  After all, wchar_t has been part of
the standard for about 15 years now.  You might try looking at older
versions or at other sed implementations... busybox sed for example.

Manuel