[uClibc] building arm-linux-uclibc toolchain manually

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Feb 4 22:45:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:35:29PM -0600, Miles Bintz wrote:

> ><arch>-linux-uclibc targets for binutils and gcc.  Specificly they:
> >
> >1) Add the necessary configuration boilerplate to allow the desired target.
>
> Is the <arch>-linux-uclibc target actually required for anything other than
> user-friendliness?  ie.  Can I get away with calling it the "arm-linux"
> toolchain without adverse effects?

We used to use <arch>-linux.  But doing so required some truly awful
hacking of the toolchain source.  That has been replaced with a proper
binutils/gcc specialization for <arch>-linux-uclibc which will
eventually be pushed upstream.

> >3) Specify the correct unwinding code to be used with uClibc
>
> What does unwinding code do?

c++ stack unwinding I believe.

> >4) Tailor the os and locale dependent bits of stdlibc++ support for uClibc.
>
> If you turned internationalization/locale stuff off, are these required?

Yes, unless you don't build c++.  libstdc++ needs to know what level of
locale support is supplied by the underlying libc.

> > 2) Specify the correct dynamic linker to be used with uClibc.
>
> Assuming that 1, 3, and 4 can simplify to nothing, can #2 be handled with a
> simple modification to the specs file?

No, you can not get by with a simple specs file modification.

Manuel