[uClibc] building arm-linux-uclibc toolchain manually

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Feb 4 18:44:05 UTC 2004

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:36:08AM -0600, Miles Bintz wrote:
> I've been searching the mailing list for a while now and  cant find
> detailed info on the following subject.... I've read that compiling gcc for
> use with uclibc isn't as easy as changing configure parameters.  I don't
> want to use the toolchain/buildroot makefiles because I want to know whats
> going on instead of "black boxing" it (what are all the patches doing?).

The current patches are fairly straightforward since I removed the
old munge-the-source approach recently.  They now add support for
<arch>-linux-uclibc targets for binutils and gcc.  Specificly they:

1) Add the necessary configuration boilerplate to allow the desired target.
2) Specify the correct dynamic linker to be used with uClibc.
3) Specify the correct unwinding code to be used with uClibc.
4) Tailor the os and locale dependent bits of stdlibc++ support for uClibc.

So I'd suggest looking at the patches if you want to know more.

> Anyhoo, are there detailed instructions on what needs to be done to gcc
> for  usewith uclibc?  Also, Having never made a complete system from

Well yes... in the form of buildroot.  :-)

> scratch, is there a howto on setting up a small  root file system with the
> uclibc dynamic loader?  ie.  If I compile busybox against uclibc, what do I
> need to copy to my target root file system to amke it all work?

That kind of depends on whether you are staticly or dynamicly linking,
whether you're using devfsd or not, if you want login support, etc.
In some configurations, all you'd really need is the busybox binary.

Manuel