[uClibc] Sorry about the empty posts UML Question Attempt 3

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Sep 6 00:56:36 UTC 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 18:35, Charles Holbrook wrote:
> It would seem that the linux based webmail server I am switching over to
> has problems with how data is parsed if you use mozilla to access
> it(Pulled from somewhere dark, but likely the truth)
>
> I am trying to resize the UML environment to a larger size.  I've filled
> it up and still need to move about 6 other source trees in there for a
> dependancy chain.
>
> I have tried using resize2fs to make it larger but it told me that I
> could not resize past 150025 blocks.  fdisk root_fs-i386 does not show
> anything in the partition table.  I'm stuck anybody out there have any
> suggestions for resizing the UML?

This looks like a job for an abuse of the tar command!

Mount the filesystem to be copied at $PATH1, and an empty filesystem at
$PATH2, and then go (as root):

tar cpC $PATH1 . | tar xpvC $PATH2

If you're feeling really ambitious, you can throw ssh in there to go between
boxes:

tar czC $PATH1 . | ssh tar xzvC $PATH2

or

ssh "tar czC $PATH1 ." | tar xzvC $PATH2

I've occasionally done backups from a slow machine (my laptop) to a fast
machine over a 10baseT network where I wanted to gzip on the way out to make
up for the slow network, but store a bzipped tarball at the destination
(which had a much faster CPU, so I wanted _it_ to do the bzipping).  Believe
it or not, this actually worked:

tar czC $PATH1 . | ssh "gunzip | bzip2 > filename.tbz"

Rob

(P.S. all the above is with gnu tar, which recognizes symlinks and hardlinks
and such automatically.  The "p" preserves even more directory information,
but I don't remember what.  I haven't tried this sort of pipeline with
busybox tar yet...)